So you’ve secured a summer internship? That’s awesome! …However, it is only the beginning. To get the most out of your experience and ensure success, here’s what you should do:
- Clarify what is expected of you as an employee. It is good to be aware of all your job responsibilities ahead of time. That way, you can set you own expectations for your performance as well!
- Take full advantage of the transition period at the beginning of your internship. Ask a lot of questions! No one expects you to know what’s going on right off the bat, so utilize this time and learn as much as you can.
- Make a good first impression with everyone in the office. Dress well, speak eloquently, exude confidence, be friendly, and act like a professional! In addition, always shake hands, smile, and make eye contact when meeting someone new.
- Meet with your supervisor on a regular basis so that you can get feedback and make sure that your performance is satisfactory. This can also help you to catch areas that need improvement early on!
- Be aware of your surroundings, taking note of the company culture and typical employee behavior. This includes appropriate clothing, kitchen etiquette, phone use, etc. As an intern, you do not want to stick out like a sore thumb!
- Show up on time! Unless there is something extreme getting in the way of your work attendance, be there when and as long as you are expected. In addition, chose your sick days carefully, for you don’t want to seem like a slacker.
- Don’t be difficult to work with. Accept assignments without hesitation or complaint, offer your help, always pay close attention to instructions, and ask for clarifications as needed.
- When your internship is over, ask you supervisor for a letter of recommendation and stay in touch after your term. This could help you out later on down the road.
Follow these guidelines and you have a pretty good shot at an amazing summer experience!